10 Most Dangerous Intersections
The ten most dangerous intersections in the Phoenix-Metro area are mostly in Phoenix proper. Using crash data collected between 2016 and 2020, the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) ranked intersections by their overall Crash Risk, which factors in the frequency of crashes, the severity of the injury, and crash type. Here are the top ten most dangerous intersections:
- 99th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road, Phoenix – 353 crashes
- 75th Avenue and Indian School Road, Phoenix – 258 crashes
- 67th Avenue and McDowell Road, Phoenix – 245 crashes
- 67th Avenue and Indian School Road, Phoenix – 269 crashes
- 51st Avenue and McDowell Road, Phoenix – 209 crashes
- 75th Avenue and McDowell Road, Phoenix – 225 crashes
- 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home Road, Phoenix – 196 crashes
- 51st Avenue and Camelback Road, Glendale – 206 crashes
- Rural Road and University Drive, Tempe – 217 crashes
- 24th Street and Baseline Road, Phoenix – 205 crashes
How an intersection with fewer crashes can be more dangerous?
MAG ranked the intersections by creating a Weighted Intersection Safety Score (ISS) that consists of:
- 25% Crash Frequency Score (the ratio of the crash frequency at the intersection compared to the intersection with the most crashes)
- 50% Crash Severity Score (the ratio of the crash severity value for the intersection compared to the intersection with the maximum crash severity value)
- 25% Crash Type Score (the ratio between the crash type costs at the intersection compared to the intersection with the highest crash type costs)
As a result of this methodology, some intersections with fewer crashes were still considered to have a higher crash risk. Generally, the rankings can be interpreted to suggest that the intersections with the highest crash risk are the intersections with the most fatalities or catastrophic injuries. According to MAG, regional crash statistics show that 60% of traffic-related injuries and 40% of fatalities occur at the top 5 intersections. Therefore, you might want to be extra vigilant when approaching and going through these intersections.
Other intersections to be careful around, because of crash frequency, include:
- 99th Avenue and McDowell Road, Avondale – 209 crashes
- 27th Avenue and Camelback Road, Phoenix – 202 crashes
- 83rd Avenue and Bell Road, Glendale – 196 crashes
- 51st Avenue and Indian School Road, Phoenix – 196 crashes
- 43rd Avenue and Thomas Road, Phoenix – 195 crashes
Other intersections to be careful around, because of crash severity, include:
- 27th Avenue and Camelback Road, Phoenix
- 43rd Avenue and McDowell Road, Phoenix
- Southern Avenue and Stapley Drive, Mesa
- 43rd Avenue and Peoria Avenue, Phoenix
- 75th Avenue and Thomas Road, Phoenix
You will quickly notice that 99th Avenue and 43rd Avenue are particularly dangerous roads, as are McDowell Road and Camelback Road.
Arizona Crash Facts
In 2021, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) reported over 121,000 vehicle crashes in the state, which was a significant increase over 2020. Over 104,000 of those crashes occurred in urban areas like Phoenix-metro, with Phoenix seeing almost 41,000 crashes. Not surprisingly, 70% of all fatal crashes in Arizona occurred in urban areas, with Phoenix seeing around 25% of fatal crashes.
WE ARE HERE TO HANDLE YOUR CATASTROPHIC CAR ACCIDENT CASE
We know how overwhelming and stressful it can be after a car accident. You and your family are likely dealing with physical injuries, mounting medical bills, and wondering what will happen to your car. You might also be wondering how to handle the legal aspects of what happened. A car accident attorney at Gage Mathers Law Group is here to help you through the entire process, from start to finish, and get you the compensation you deserve for all your harm and losses after a motor vehicle accident. Call us today at 602-258-0646 or visit us online and allow us to take on the stress of handling the legal aspects of your injury claim so you can focus on recovering and getting back to the things you once enjoyed.